Activies in Koukounara Village

Koukounara is a Village in Chania in the Crete Region of Greece.

Koukounara, a village of the province Kissamos, is 44 kilometres away from the town of Hania and 10 kilometres away from Kasteli. Before consolidation of communities was headquarters community while today is a municipal district of the municipality of Kisamos.

It is a village with high production olive oil. The history of Koukounara recorded by Mr. Fotis Ntaountakis, typography in Athens, whom we met in his beloved village.

'' Welcome to our village but you find me to gather the olive trees because oil is the best and healthiest food. Unfortunately it is very cheap and so we have to do it ourselves. More on this will tell you our oil produser that is particularly versed. Koukounara, in her  glories was a capital, community based with much population and primary school, together with other children from the surrounding villages, Chalepa, Panteliana, Manoliana, Tsikalaria, Charchaliana, Skouloudiana and Choreftiana was over 110. Of course, after 1970 who had started for good internal migrations to cities, decreased and our own population, but he held up well until 1985 compared to other villages. Of the aforesaid settlements of Tsikalaria, regarded as the oldest. During the Turkish occupation, the Koukounara lived by the Aga of the region named Chavizis. There is still the residence, divided into several families Village. From what information I know, as a community, working since 1861, with first registration, the Violakis Anthony George born in 1861. Her settlers originating from the province of Selino, Sfakia, Kissamos and Ennia choria.

I mention some demographics. In the census, then, in 1881, the population recorded by authorities as follows: Charchaliana 15 males, 25 females and Koukounara (Koukounara, Tsikalaria, Chalepa) 97 males, 112 females. In the same census populations listed in religion. Christian and Muslim population administrations in people and we have,  Charchaliana: Christians, 11 males and 19 females, all 30. Muslims, 4 males and 5 females, total 9. Koukounara: Christians, 93 males and 109 females, total 202. Muslims, 4 males and 3 females, a total of 7. Now we let the distant past and go to the last 18 years, in the 1991 census. We were Koukounara with Panteliana, Manoliana and Chalepas 68 - Tsikalaria 9 - Charchaliana 28 - Choreftiana 27. Total 168. In the census of 2001 we had Koukounara with Panteliana, Manoliana kaiChalepa 42 - Tsikalaria 10 - Charchaliana 28 - Choreftiana 27. Total 107.

Small village in area and population with fertile soil. We have lots of olive trees, previously we had many vineyards, cultivated cereals and even more old we gave great importance to the silk. They work until today two mills, one in Koukounara and one in Charchaliana, formerly there was another one in Manoliana.  The production of raki (laventzia) was set many, in the old times that we had more vineyards. 

Festivals with a feast was on December 6, Saint Nicholas - August 6, Savior - August 29, Saint John. Central churches :  Saint Georgios and cemetery -Charchaliana- Saint Georgios and Cemetery (Choreftiana),  Saint George and the cemetery (Tsikalaria),  Saint Nikolaos and cemetery (Koukounara). Other: Christ, the Virgin, St. John, and Prophet Elias. One primary school we had in the middle of the settlements. Before this, school was in a cave (In what some residents had fled after a raid of Turks and they all killed αpart from a 16-year old child) and later in the church of Christ, but early 1960s built the existing public building that closed in 1985. The postman came during those years from Topolia, mostly on foot. Sanitary village belongs to Kissamos Health Center and is served by a rural doctor who has his base in Kalathenes. In the room of the warehouse of the cooperative, which renovated last summer with the help of the residents and the municipality, the clinic has a doctor once a week, every Wednesday. 

The community was supplied with water in the 1960s ,with water coming from the Sirikari community and was electrified in the 1960. The water supply was formerly from wells or springs that still exist in the centers of settlements. In Koukounara there were many private wells and a community that was left as a history (as well), that the Ottoman era the Chavizis aga there had installed a huge nigger and did not let the Christian inhabitants to take water. Later, that there was scarcity of water, they bought another one next door.

The main public road was opened early 1950 and asphalted early 1980 and joins the town of Kastelli with villages Kallergiana, Koukounara, Kalathenes and Sirikari. Many we can say yet, but we want time and space, so we'll finish with the name of the village, which, from that they called the old, named Koukounara by a large umbrella pine that was in a place that Turks' had built the homes of Agas ... ".

Rotonta Cafe

In our traditional café you will receive a warm welcome. Here you can taste local products and indulge in stories, myths and legends narrated by the elder. You will instantly find yourself in a familiar and cozy environment even if you are a first time visitor. Running our traditional café in this way enables us to provide you -except for all the other services- with the skills to discover and enjoy the hidden beauties of the surrounding area.

Rotonda at Kalathenes

Kalathenes village is located in the province of Kissamos, 50km away from Chania and 7km from Kissamos. There are the ruins of a Venetian villa of the 16th or 17th century called Rotonda, due to its circular shape. This is believed to have been planned as the holiday house of the Doge of Venice (the king of Venice), however the Venetians did not manage to completely build the villa, as the surviving plans depict.

In Kalathenes also survives, even today, the home of Christos Sgouromallis, which was turned into the seraglio of the Turkish rulers of the area. Here, in 1825 the rebels coming from Gramvousa killed 25 Turks, revenging them for offending some Cretan girls.

In Ano Kalathenes, one can still find the Venetian villa named "Rotonda", which used to be the residence of a Venetian nobleman in the 16th century. It's called "Rotonda" because of its circular form. There are plans to restore it to its former beauty, but at the moment there are still local people living in it.


Falassarna Beach

Falasarna (written as Phalasarna) is located on the West coast of Crete and, similarly to Elafonisi is popular with day trippers because of its stunning beaches and clear turquoise blue sea.

Elafonisi

Elafonisi "deer island" is an island located close to the southwestern corner of the Mediterranean island of Crete, of which it is administratively a part, in the regional unit of Chania. When the weather is fine it is possible to walk to the island through the shallow water. The island is a protected nature reserve.

Balos Lagoon

Fittingly, for an island that has accommodated pirates, there is a lagoon, named the Balos lagoon, between the island and the coast of Crete. There is an islet which forms part of a cape, through the lagoon, called Cap Tigani (which means "frying pan" in Greek). North of Balos, at the Korykon cape, are the ruins of the small ancient Roman city of Agnion, with a temple to the god Apollo.